Friday, June 26, 2009

Opposition in ALL things

Yesterday was a great day! I have to say it was filled with a lot of different emotions, but my night ended on a super-great note! We went to the pool yesterday afternoon with Cathy and all the kids and had some relaxing downtime. Then I went over to a dear friend's home (Andrea) for some good Jamaican Curry Chicken. We've been planning this for months and it just kept getting pushed back for one reason or another, but we finally got it together. I love my friends! Now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I didn't take any photos..dang it!
But the most surprising thing that happened yesterday was finding out that Michael Jackson died. I was shocked and I'm still a bit sad. I'm almost "weirding" myself out from my own reaction. But as I heard the news and watched all the press coverage on t.v. , my mind took me on a magical journey back in time to ALL the dozens of songs that he created and sang that brought me joyous times. I've been listening to MJ as long as I can remember starting with songs such as ABC and Rockin Robin which my parents would play. I remember going to the roller rink and skating to Rock with You and Don't Stop till you Get Enough when I was in Kindergarten and 1st Grade living in Miami. But I definitely became enamored with him in the 5th Grade at Peter and Paul when Thriller came out. *NOTE (One of the abolute BEST albums EVER and not to mention the best selling album of ALL time in the world.) I LOVED the Thriller video on MTV, it was almost 15 minutes long, which was unheard of at the time! Directed by Steven Spielberg. I still get goosebumps just watching it. Of course over the following years a string of other hits came after that. Unfortunately growing up the way he did I'm sure took a toll on him and yes by most people's standards, he became a little weird...okay maybe a lot weird. But ohhhh did I feel sorry for him. Let me hyperlink for a second and say that we(my friends and I) ended the night on the beach until 2:30 in the morning releasing baby Leatherback sea turtles out into the ocean, and trying to find turtles coming up on the beach to nest. We actually did see a female Loggerhead come out of the water and crawl midway up onto the beach which was an experience of a lifetime, but she got spooked and went back into the water. She moved too fast going back in the water, and my camera wouldn't work fast enough in the dark to get a shot. Saying all that to say, as I lay there on the beach chairs thinking about the day and life in general watching the waves dance to and fro, I couldn't help think of the symbolism in life like the waves waxing and waning. To me I saw a larger than life idol pass away an unhappy man, who lived and experienced ALL of Earth's posessions but who truly didn't get to live a life the way it should be lived...with close family, wonderful true friends and knowing who you truly are, being comfortable with who you are, being a child of God and just appreciating life and yourself. Now I didn't know this man personally, and I could be wrong, but through the camera lens this was my perception. Then to witness "nature take it's course" by watching the baby leatherbacks crawl race into the deep darkness of a world unknown, to continue a beautiful life cycle. Gosh life is so precious! No day is ever promised. I hope to live my life well enough in my Heavenly Father's eyes and hope to stand at the Bar of God and not feel ashamed. I can't speak for MJ, but I refuse to cast stones because heaven knows I'm not quite there yet, but I am trying and will continue to try. I AM NOT A QUITTER!




No comments: